dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, January 17, 2013

NIbble, Nibble, Nibble,

So in the past month or so my sweet baby has turned into a rabid beaver.





At first I attributed it to the lack of grass to chew on. Then it dawned on me- he's teething. I looked in his mouth and sure enough- there's an adult tooth coming in under one of his baby teeth. I get it. I really do- it must be driving him crazy. But he's eating every possible surface he can reach. Including, if you recall, Irish's blanket. That I've sort of solved by putting a ratty old blanket over top of his good one. I also spied a spray at the feed store to stop chewing. I bought it without blinking. As soon as I got home I went around the paddock spraying all of the chewed on posts. And I did Irish's blanket for good measure. I also sprayed the opening to his stall door, the door frame, etc etc. It seems work well. He sniffed and did the flehmen response.

Steele of course followed me around like a puppy. I introduced him to ice chewing- it used to work for the kids!


9 comments:

  1. he's not naughty, he's a baby ! A very cute baby I might add...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKay! So now you need to make some apple juice ice pops and leave them around the paddock for him...and supersize it!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to post some photos of our paddock fences. Romeo thinks he is a beaver too. He is seven and shows no sign of stopping. We tried everything. We did get a cool slow feed hay feeder (I have an upcoming post about it) and I am thinking it might keep his lips busy. Dickie just took to removing the bars of his stall and chicken wire from the stall next to his. Oh and he disemboweled a blanket too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear! I just dragged in some trees from the woods. it was suggested by Cindy. they seem to be enjoying them so far!

      Delete
  4. He is so cute. He reminds me so much of Chrome at that age. :)

    That sucks about the fence though. There's two reasons I can think of that could be causing it besides the teeth... boredom or lack of forage. The limbs and toys should help the boredom. As for forage, do they get free access to hay or do you feed it in nets or mangers? You might try slow feed nets like she's doing for Dickie. I'm about to get some too. I'm just buying cheap hockey nets on Amazon and making my own. I'm going to hang it between two trees (high enough they can't hang a leg over it) so they can get to both sides and won't chase each other off. I'll post about it when the hockey nets get here. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. boredom might be right. They have free access to hay all day.

      Delete
    2. Yep it must be boredom. I've never had wood fences so I don't know what Chrome chewed on... probably trees. Just keep using the limbs if it saves your fence posts lol. And don't worry.... they do grow out of it.... in a few years lololol!!! Don't you love baby horses? ;D

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.