dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Steele tries a saddle on for size

Work with Steele has been going well.  I have a new surcingle on order and have returned the one I borrowed. I decided that while I wait for it to be delivered I would see how he reacted to being lunged with a saddle on.

I tried on Irish's saddle and, to my glee, it seems to fit him well. I will definitely get it fitted before I sit on it but there seemed to be nice clearance at the wither, no hindrance on the shoulder and no pinching anywhere. He's had the saddle on before and didn't seem to care but I've never lunged him in one.

Yesterday I put it on, removed the stirrups and brought him up to ring. Irish did a comical double take as we walked by. I'm not sure if he was surprised that we wer using his saddle. In the ring I let out the line and asked Stelle to walk off. I for the reaction.

And waited.

And waited.

There was none. He didn't seem to mind at all. Our session was completely uneventful. I was just considering stopping when a big truck stopped at the end of the driveway. It was the new cart we had ordered. My dogs were loose and I worried that Belle would run down and nip. So faster then I thought I could, I whipped off the saddle and lunge line and tied up Belle. I called down to the man that I couldn't leave. I didn't want to leave Steele unattended. No problem, he simply dropped off the cart and left. I turned around and Steele was nosing the saddle with great curiousity.

"hmm, so what is this contraption she put on me anyway"

When his teeth came out I grabbed it and moved it out of reach.

When the truck left I let him into the field and then went to gather up my equipment. He followed me down to the barn.
Steele: I wore your saddle today. It was no big deal. I don't know why you go on about it.
Irish: Just wait kid, It's gets more complicated. 

Today I put it on again. Just like yesterday he didn't care at all that it was there. We finished with some inhand work - I introduced the concept of leg yield as I walked beside him. He caught one very very quickly. Again, after the work was done he hung around the barn with me while I cleaned up.

I think that I'm not the only one enjoying our sessions.

Here are some photos I took with my iphone. Sorry they are so close.



1 comment:

  1. I love your baling twine bucking strap hehe. Good boy Steele! What kind of cart was being delivered? A horse drawn cart?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.