dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Road to Happiness and Some Art

I've been working with Carmen pretty regularly but Royce hasn't been here since last Thursday.  It's been good for me to try to figure out what she needs. I've dealt with some issues and attitudes and have been feeling pretty positive. I've learned that Royce is right when he says 'you need to work that horse otherwise she gets her own ideas. All of our big spooks and disagreements have arisen when I've been wishy washy and letting her set the agenda.

I rode Carmen this morning and we had a couple issues, including one big spook that I still don't know why or how I stayed on. But I did and then I realized that I was not setting the agenda and that leads to Chaos. so I buckled up and things went so much better from there that I was thrilled.  I then did a short schooling session on Irish followed by a wee hack around the field.

Royce came back tonight and rode her. He showed me how he keeps the horse between the leg and hand. He uses her neck so that if she tries to root and get away she ends up fighting herself. I watched her go and how not one sour expression crossed her face. I then got on and we went to work. She tried a few spooks but Royce pointed out that she wasn't scared. I followed his instructions and then all arguments ceased. She was prompt off the leg and soft and supple. With every leg or rein aid she was responding and trying to figure out what I wanted. I love riding her when she's like this.

I told Royce I wanted to walk her down to the barn. We went the long way around the front field and then down the driveway, across the road and back up to the barn. Then around the barn and the garden to finish up behind the barn where I got off. She was so mellow and relaxed it was fabulous.

Royce summed it up when he said "I remember how unhappy this mare looked - she looked like she wanted to eat you up. Now she's listening and this makes her a happier horse. She doesn't need to worry about things and can let you be in charge without worrying. 

I came into the house exhausted and happy. Happiness earned by hard work and determination.

I'm excited for the Centred Riding clinic I'm going to this weekend. I even have my goals worked out- I want to work on not riding defensively when Carmen becomes upset or spooky because then my riding goes to shit. I echo her tension and the cycle doesn't end well.

Now about the art...
While I was riding Carmen this morning I had a very special delivery. I have been following this artist on FB- he lives near me and his work is brilliant. David Johnson does street art that is incredible:

What I love is his horse art. One day I shall save enough to have him do a portrait of my horses. 

However, he was having a sale of small prints and I had to have them. I was going to pick them up but his assistant was driving by so she dropped them off. It was good for Carmen to meet a new person while we were in the ring so there was a training bonus as well. 

See what I got- aren't they lovely! 


I plan to frame them but not sure if I want them on my wall at home or in my office.

14 comments:

  1. In your office. A reminder on rough days of why you're at work. I truly enjoy reading of how Royce & yourself work with Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! There does seem to be something to that philosophy of a horse being able to relax when the human takes charge. This afternoon we were having earth shaking thunder and my two solid horses, Rock and Lostine, were jumping all over the place while my two spooky horses, Bombay and Gabbrielle, were happily munching on hay oblivious to it all. Just a short time earlier I had been chasing Bombay and Gabbrielle around the arena with the long whip, telling them where to go, when to go fast and when to stop and rest. Maybe that had something to do with them being so relaxed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how that works but I believe that it does

      Delete
  3. Love the artwork. I'm sure wherever you put them everyone will enjoy them.

    Great work with Carmen. Royce sounds like a very good trainer. Have fun at the clinic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been incredible. i believe that he saved the both of us

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see all your hard work wit Carmen paying off.Your relationship will be all the stronger for it.

    I love those paintings, they have so much energy and life in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess all relationships are work. I'd like a few easy days though :).

      I agree- his paintings carry so much energy you can feel it.

      Delete
  5. That art is lovely. I'm glad Carmen is continuing to excel with her Royce training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not always great but it's steadily better

      Delete
  6. OH, I wish I could get some for my friend Mary who has been so kind to me, driving me around, waiting in doctors' offices, and so on. She loves horses and these prints are gorgeous. I will check him out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sends stuff everywhere so I'm sure that you could get some.

      Delete
  7. I love the artwork -- I echo "office" for the same reasons; it will remind you of why work is worth it... I love how Carmen is learning to relax and listen and be happy. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that artwork is lovely! Have fun at the centered riding clinic - can't wait to hear about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.